Church of St. Apollonia
Sixteenth century church, part of the Castle of the Tower
The sixteenth century church of St. Apollonia has a gabled facade and a red limestone Renaissance portal with central rosettes. Above the portal is a rose window with stone tracery in the form of a Greek cross, which also appears on the apse wall. In the tympanum is an ogive window, while another four pointed arch windows illuminate the side chapels.
The apse rests on the terrace below, occupied by the vineyard, and is illuminated by two large trilobate gothic windows. The nine stone ledges jutting out from the wall indicate where there used to be a gallery leading off the church.
Inside are two Baroque multi-coloured stone altars, one in the apse and one in the northern side chapel. On the former, two statues of St. Apollonia and St. Frances of Assisi stand either side of a central crucifix, while on the other there is a statue of St. John of Nepomuk, patron saint of Bohemia. The latter altar was erected by the Spaur family in 1731, as revealed by two epigraphs at the base of the statue and the shield at the top. In the southern chapel there is a sixteenth century painting in a marble frame of a Madonna and Child with Saints.
Behind the main altar there is a trap-door leading to a crypt.